Moving is a big job for anyone, but especially if you’re a senior. Not every senior has the luxury of leaning on family and friends to do the job for them. There are certain measures you can take to make the task a little less stressful even if you’re hiring professional movers in Bala Cynwyd to take care of most of it for you! Here are some tips to help you through the process as you’re getting ready to downsize into your new place.
Know When It’s Time to Downsize:
All of a sudden, you’ve realized all of your children have grown up, moved out, and there’s not the need for everything you have in your home. It’s also time to move out of the big house and move into something more practical. Maybe your new home is one floor, or maybe you’re moving into a retirement community that has a lot of convenient amenities.
- Stretch Your Budget: Retirement savings only go so far. Stretch them out by downsizing to help save up for retirement.
- House Upkeep is Overwhelming: As you get older you may not want to have to keep up with a larger home and a yard
- Vacant Rooms: If you’re noticing you have vacant rooms or more rooms than you have use for than it may be time to downsize.
Sort Your Belongings:
Once you’ve made the decision to move then it’s time to start sorting through your belongings. Sort your stuff into the categories of Keep, Store, Sell/Give, and Trash. If you’re unsure of how to sort then look for these signs:
- Never used it
- You won’t use it ever again
- It’s an unfinished project
- Furniture that won’t fit in your new place
- You haven’t used it in a year or more
- You never took it out of the box
Packing to Move:
Packing is no easy task and your best bet it to leave it up to the professionals. It’s very physically demanding and time consuming if you’re looking to tackle this job by yourself. Here are some tips to make it easier and safer for yourself:
- Tackle small jobs first by breaking down each task into smaller ones.
- Ask for help from friends and family to box up all of your belongings.
- Hire professional movers to do all of the heavy lifting and relocating for you.
- Use plastic tubs to store things in as they are more sturdy than cardboard boxes.
Stay Safe on Moving Day:
After all of the planning and packing comes moving day. This is a big job so make sure to hire professional movers who can keep all of your belongings safe and take care of the job for you. If you’re looking to help out because you’d like to then here are some tips to stay safe during the process:
- Use proper lifting techniques by lifting with your legs, keeping a straight back, and keeping objects close to your center of mass.
- Carry the lighter items and leave the heavy lifting for your movers.
- Stay hydrated and take care of your nutritional needs.
- Don’t carry anything that obscures your line of sight to avoid tripping and falling.
We hope these tips help your move go a little easier. Professional movers like those of O’Malley Moving Services are here to take care of all of your moving needs from start to finish. Save your back and save time as well by letting us take care of everything for you! Give us a call today at (610) 789-5201.