Moving comes with its own set of daunting tasks like lifting heavy furniture, packing up fragile items, and ensuring nothing gets lost in the process. One of the most important aspects of moving is making sure that your vital documents are safe and kept track of. We compiled 5 key tips to help you stay on top of your important documents during your move.
- Keep Items Close: When moving, keep your most important documents together and keep them close to you. You don’t want to bury them at the bottom of a box and then frantically look for them when you’re trying to get organized at your new place.
- Make and Email Copies: Before you begin your move, make copies of all bank and credit cards, passports, visas, or identification. Copy anything else that may be vital to you in the event of these valuable items getting lost during the move. Having copies of your essential documents at your fingertips can save you time and money which will help to reduce your stress.
- Use Plastic Bags: Use large plastic bags to help physically protect your documents while moving. Accidents happen and it’s important to play it safe by giving your most important documents and an extra layer of protection. Keeping your documents in a large plastic bag also allows you to easily keep them all together.
- Don’t Label Boxes With Details: Label the box or package that contains your sensitive documents with a generic label that you’ll know and recognize. Use something like “School Records” or “Office Supplies” to help your documents stay incognito. You should put specific handling instructions on the box though to ensure this box goes on top or is handled with extra care.
- Don’t Store Documents in Extreme Temperatures: Paper is relatively fragile especially paper that may be decades old. If you have to store boxes of documents for an extended period of time, make sure to do so in an area that isn’t susceptible to extreme temperatures or moisture.
We hope that these easy tips help you keep your important documents safe during your move. At O’Malley Moving Services, we have extensive expertise in handling boxed documents of the utmost importance. For all of your other moving needs, contact O’Malley Moving Services at (610) 789-5201 to have true experienced professional movers take care of everything for you.