Moving is stressful but you’re most likely not the only one feeling the effects. Pets can easily get stressed out when there’s a lot of activity going on in their home and their environment is starting to change around them. There isn’t a perfect formula on how to deal with this situation but there definitely are tips on how to maneuver this situation to make it more comfortable for your furry friends.
- Remove Your Pets From The Stressful Environment: During the move itself you’re going to want to keep your pets with you but before the movers get to your house, you’ll want to keep your pets away in a separate yet familiar environment so that they’re not overwhelmed once the commotion starts.
- Take Your Pet in Your Vehicle: As stated above, you’ll want to take your little friend in your car with you whether it’s in a crate or just letting them hang out in the back seat.
- Be Careful Letting Your Pet Out of the Car: Be very careful when you initially let your pet out of the car if they’re not in a carrier. Your pet will be unfamiliar with the new environment and are more easily prone to getting lost. If they’re not in a carrier or crate, make sure to have them on a leash to make sure they safely make it inside your new home.
- Contact Your Vet: If you’re moving far enough away then you’ll most likely be changing vets. Inform your vet so you can collect your records and any prescription medications and see if they recommend another vet that’s closer to your new home.
- Update Their Info: Now that your address has changed and your pet may be at higher risk for getting lost, you’ll want to update their information on their collar tag. This helps increase the chance that they’ll be returned home safely God forbid they wander off and get lost.
- Prepare an Overnight Kit: It helps to prepare an easily accessible overnight kit that has enough food for your pet, toys, grooming tools, and comfort items like blankets to make sure your pet is comfortable for the first couple of days while you’re busy unpacking.
We hope these tips help keep your pets safe and happy during your move. As far as the heavy lifting, O’Malley’s Moving Company has professional movers in Bala Cynwyd to help you from start to finish so that you can focus on the things that matter like making sure your furry friend has an easy time during the transition. Call us at (610) 789-5201 today!