The Covid-19 pandemic is unlike anything we have seen as a country before. We are truly passing through uncharted waters and information is changing on a daily basis. We all have questions about how to protect ourselves while continuing on with your lives. If you are moving during these uncertain times then we’ve got some safety tips to keep you and those around you safe.
Before You Move
- Choose your moving company carefully and make sure to ask questions like “What precautions are your movers taking to prevent the spread of Covid-19?” and “What precautions do you recommend I take during my move?”
- Get a virtual quote. This will allow you to avoid any in-person contact. Check with your moving company about how to best prepare for your virtual quote. Some simple reminders are to make sure your phone or tablet is fully charged, make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi signal, and turn on the lights in the room that you’ll be showing to your estimator.
During Your Move
- Greet your movers with a smile and refrain from shaking hands
- Maintain the CDC recommended 6-foot distancing protocol. Practicing social distancing truly helps reduce the chance that the coronavirus can spread from one person to another.
- You can of course still wear your facemask to help with the prevention of spreading the disease but keep in mind that a facemask may reduce your amount of oxygen intake. If you start to feel short of breath, nauseous, or lightheaded then remove the mask and sit down immediately.
After You Move
- Thoroughly disinfect your home and all of your belongings as you unpack them.
- Continue to wash your hands as you unpack items as we know the virus can live on certain surfaces for multiple days.
If you’re planning an upcoming move and are uncertain about what steps to take especially during these unnerving times then contact O’Malley Moving Services at (610) 789-5201 and we’ll easily help find the solution for you!
How to Stay Safe While Moving in the Summer Heat
Moving during the summer months can be a bit tricky and even somewhat dangerous because of the hotter temperatures and intensive sunshine. We compiled some tips to help keep you safe during the hottest season of the year.
- Start early: Schedule for an early start so that you can get a jumpstart on the day’s heat. The hottest temperatures of the day are usually between 11am and 4pm. Getting a lot of the work out of the way before 11am is definitely a good idea when it comes to helping you stay safe in the heat.
- Keep the Water Flowing: Stay hydrated because the extra summer heat means you can easily lose body water during the move. Make sure if you are sweating a lot to replace your electrolytes either through water and a sports drink.
- Keep it Cool: Turn on the air conditioner in your new home. Keeping the air cool inside will help prevent you and your movers from overheating and sweating too much.
- Dress For It: Wear suitable clothes for the occasion. Make sure to wear something somewhat loose fitting or made out of a material that is meant to absorb water. Breathable fabrics make a huge difference when it comes to keeping you cool by allowing air convection to cool you down.
- Don’t Get Burned: Make sure to apply sunscreen because odds are you are going to be out in the sun for a good part of the day as you are moving. If you’re sweating you’re going to want to make sure to reapply. Also, keep in mind that anything sitting outside in the sun may have a tendency to get hot depending on what material it is made out of. Make sure not to get burned as you go to pick up items that have been baking in the sun.